Growth happens outside of your comfort zone. And burpees are the exact opposite of comfort. Perhaps that’s what makes them seem difficult to do and so easy to hate. But once you know the amazing benefits burpees have to offer, you may learn to hate them a little less.
- Burpees hit different muscle groups at once. Arms, chest, quads, glutes, hamstrings and abs – all in one exercise! The burpee is made of movements that can increase strength, agility and balance at the same time which is perfect for a full body routine.
- Burpees are amazing fat burners. Your metabolism and heart rate increase rapidly by constantly moving up and down. Such high intensity movements can burn up to 50% more calories than moderate exercise. Research compares the effect of 30 seconds of fast burpees to a 30-second all-out sprint!
- Burpees develop endurance. Burpees can help to improve your muscular endurance, while the fast flow of movements can push your cardio limits at the same time.
- Burpees make you stronger. Since burpees are the ultimate example of functional fitness, not only can they help you meet your weight loss and fitness goals, but they can also help you perform better during everyday activities like carrying groceries, lifting items above your head or playing with your children at the playground.
- Burpees can be done anywhere. It doesn’t matter if you’re travelling, if you don’t have access to a gym or if you’re working outdoors – all you need is your own body to do them.
Whether you love or hate burpees, there’s no denying the results that they bring you. Remember – your body can stand almost anything; it’s your mind you have to convince.
Need a little help to perfect your form? Check out this video to see our Fitness Professional, Sherry Kresky, demonstrate three different burpee variations.